Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Car Seats and Diaper Bags

4 years ago, when I found out I was having a 2nd daughter (after 3 boys a girl and 3 more boys) I could not hold back the girliness. I recovered our blue and red port-a-crib with pink, made new sheet and a comforter for it and I knew I had to recover our very worn out boyish navy blue car seat cover. I needed something that celebrated my baby girl. I took apart the old cover and used it as a pattern. It was a very simple look, but unique and my own thing. This was before the car seat makers even offered any thing other than the gender generic prints. I couldn't find a picture of that one but here are a few of the others I have made for family members. Some of the shots aren't great and some were not taken of the car seats themselves so you get baby pics too.

I wish I had a better photo of this one, because it had pink pom pom trim. It was so much fun with the green and pink flower print.

This one was more shabby chic. The canopy had a coordinating lining of pink and off white stripes and a green polka dot ribbon trim and bow on top. I also made a matching diaper bag with the same green ribbon trim.

Again not a great shot of the car seat but this was one had a darling retro feel to it, but still very girly. The top of the canopy matched the head rest fabric.

This is the first one I made for a boy. He was almost a 4th of July baby so his mom thought it would be fun to have a patriotic car seat for him. It turned out great and full of spirit.

I made another cute boy one but I don't have any pictures of it (Dandi if you have any feel free to post it for me).


This one was to celebrate a first girl so it had to be super frilly. I added a flower, ruffle and tulle to the canopy to really make it fun. Then I made this quilted diaper bag out of two place mats and some coordinating fabric. I love the size too. I am not a giant bag girl. I like it big enough to get the job done.



When I was asked to make this one it came with the request that it have blue in it but still be really girly. After MUCH thought and TONS of trips to LOTS of fabric stores I came up with this. Totally girly and a matching bag, again out of quilted place mats and coordinating fabrics.


I am giving thought to make them for hire. I have not settled on a price yet, but let me know if you or any one you know are interested. I just need the old cover and canopy to make an exact fit for your seat.

4 comments:

  1. If I'm having a boy (fingers crossed) I totally want one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They a all so cute and one of a kind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The patriotic one is still my favorite by far. It almost makes me want a baby just for the carseat... (key word: almost)

    ReplyDelete